Thursday, March 7, 2013

Review: David Dalglish - The Weight of Blood

Title: The Weight of Blood (Book 1 of The Half-Orcs series)
Author: David Dalglish
My rating: 4 Stars
 
 
                                                     Kindle:              Paperback:

 
It's not often I get to read a book written in the prospective of the "dark side". In fact, I would go so far as to say that this would be the first for me. I've read plenty of dark, chilling point of views to make the reader even more sympathetic for the good side's plight, but never more than a page or two, a chapter or two at most. Not to mention that this particular view point has it's own set of morals (for some characters) and more importantly, reasons. All to often, evil works without ryhme or reason, at least nothing that makes logical sense to the reader as to why they are doing less than pure things. It's rare to gain the perspective of the plight for some on the other side. In this story we get the benefit of not only knowing some of the whys, we also get a sense of understanding. I'm well aware as I read this story that what one particular half-orc is doing isn't right, but on the other hand it is logical - for him - at the time.

My heart breaks for him as I am witness to his crimes and his own internal battles as the part of him that knows kindness pulls at what he feels he has no choice but to do. I believe he struggles with this much more than he lets on in the book, and within him I can see a willpower to overcome his battles, to rise up if you will and fight for the good. However I can see a long road leading before him. Nobody can change everything at the drop of a hat afterall.

The characters presented to us are written well, however I felt eager to know more about some of them. I am hopeful that the next book will give some insight into some of the characters that were left without much of a story yet played such a critical part in this book. I do enjoy the relationship between Harruq (one of the half-orc brothers) and Aurelia (an elf). I feel it flows really well in contrast to the relationship between the two brothers.

I wish we could have seen a little bit more of the world they reside in, but the parts that we did get to see were well described. I wish that I could live in the forest, more importantly I wish I could have one of those horses that the elves ride! The element that intrigues me the most, however, is the weapons. I love stories where weapons are more than just hunks of metal. They have a history, a history I'd love learning a lot more about.

The plot stayed intriguing enough to keep me immersed into the story. The ending in particular left me with chills, wishing I immediately had the next to turn to. Overall this is yet another tale that I really enjoyed. I gave it 4 stars simply because I felt there was a lot more that could have been said about one particular area, without giving too much away I'll just say it has to do with part of the half-orc lineage. I felt that question was answered a little too abrupt with not much afterthought afterwards. I only wish it had played a bigger role.

Another author to add to my ever growing list of works to read. If you're looking for a great story that's not all sparkles and rainbows, this is a must-read.








No comments:

Post a Comment