Thursday, July 25, 2013

Review: R. Moses - A Shadow of Lilies


Title: A Shadow of Lilies
Author: R. Moses
Website: http://www.eclecticcycle.com/
My Rating: 5 Stars
 
 Kindle:


 

I'll be completely honest. I chose this book to read/review next because the cover looked the best out of the few that appeared on my e-reader. I know, I know. Never judge a book by it's cover. I just pulled a big no-no. However I'm really glad I did. I was hooked from the prologue alone. The story is about a girl who literally gets hauled into Hell. I don't really want to go into much more detail because I feel most of the elements would be better to experience while reading, however I'll do my best to give a review regardless.

The characters, for the most part, are very well written. It seemed like it would have been so easy with this kind of story line to make specific characters flawless. A lot of writers are prone to giving their characters very little flaws or 'weak' flaws that will not lessen the character or his/her morals in the overall sense. This is a very big pet peeve of mine so I was extremely impressed in this regard.

I also loved the descriptions of everything. Who would have thought I'd find Hell so beautiful? I'm torn here, I'd really love to visit this place, yet I'd rather not have a run in with the Devil. Maybe I could sneak in for a quick peak and leave again? *Sigh* Such problems I have. Back to the point, everything was described nicely, yet not overdone. Just the right amount in my opinion at least.

The plot itself was enough to keep me turning through the pages. I found myself annoyed when I had to do normal things (like eat, for instance) and Heaven help the poor bugger who could plainly see with their own eyes that I was peering into my e-reader with feverish eyes and yet still dared to interrupt me, grasping me from my happy place and slamming me back into reality! The only tiny issue (that I wouldn't even call an issue) was that I felt a little bit of it was slightly too true to form. I seen a little bit to disregard this closer to the end of the book, and of course there is more to this story that I could be pleasantly surprised by.

Overall, I (obviously) loved and enjoyed this novel. The only serious let down is not being able to get the others for some time. I'm itching to read the rest of this story. The ending was enough to leave the reader satisfied yet still wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment